Philosopher/Philanthropist/ Lover/Poet/Song Writer/Mentor

Blog Archive

Friday 29 April 2011

An Interview with South African starlet Rachelle Kruger.

Rachelle Kruger, best known for her appearance in the loved and well-known Mattessons Sausage "Hunger Drums"  advertisement, commonly referred to as "that sausage advert girl!", has been one of the most influential events in Britain's recent history, leading many commentators to say:

"[the advert] is perhaps the most pivotal event in recent British history since the Suez" - David Starkey

It even made it's way into political discourse, with the then Prime Minister, Gordon Brown warning:

"the over consumption of Mattessons sausages as a direct consequence of this advert threats the banking system, and risks a sharp fall in Britain's standard of living."

This advert was daring. If it were a song, it'd be known as an anthem. It challenges our relationship with sausages and the way that we consume foods in general. Eating a Mattessons is like saying "fuck the cops. fuck the aristocracy. fuck the world. fuck me. fuck yourself."

Rachelle appears in this advert at roughly 4 seconds in and again at various times throughout. 



toppoblog caught up with starlet Rachelle Kruger at her local cafe ZUPA in Cape Town, for an exclusive and controversial interview. Rachelle, reportedly a massive fan of toppoblog, was keen to talk.

Her local cafe was quite busy, and as she sat down, we both had to take a moment to adjust ourselves and get comfortable. I was just enjoying observing the Cape Town atmosphere, till I was interrupted by a waitress asking for my order. I thought to myself: "let's be wild!", and asked for a decaf mocachino.

Rachelle was drinking a latte with an extra shot of coffee.

we had some off-the-record and controversial chit chat, then commenced the interview.

INTERVIEW.

toppsy - "How did you land yourself a role in the Mattessons Sausage advertisement?"

Rachelle - "Well, basically, when I was in..."(Rachelle's face froze all of a sudden, one eye more shut than the other, looking a little lop-sided, like she'd had a stroke).

toppsy - "Rachelle, can you hear me alright?"

Rachelle - "What? no, not really"

toppsy - "your face has gone all weird?"

Rachelle - "Really, shit, why?"

toppsy - "Fuck, my fault, it's the internet connection here in this internet cafe Rachelle. The screens frozen,  I'm sorry, it obviously can't cope with Skype!"

[After a stern word with the waitress I got the internet fixed and a complimentary caramel short cake. Who says you can't have it all?]

toppsy - "How did you land yourself a role in the Mattessons Sausage advertisement?"

Rachelle "Well I'm at an agency and they send me to castings for adverts and movies and  it sends me castings.

So, I just went to the casting for Mattessons and I turned out to get it"

toppsy - "What was your reaction when you realised you'd actually be starring in an advert for such a prestigious British sausage brand?"


Rachelle"Well honestly I never knew it was such a big brand, and that it was very popular ? But when I started getting adds on facebook and people started chatting to me, I thought wow! okay! This is great. I felt pretty honourd to be in the advert" she beamed.

toppsy - "Were you alarmed by Glasgow's reaction to the advert, and your subsequent legendary status in our humble land?"

Rachelle - "Yeah, I didnt know it was such a big deal, I must say the feedback was really sweet", she says with a big smile.

"Would love to do another advert and let it be shown there. There are some really cool people there" smiling still.

toppsy - "What is your favourite sausage variety?"

Rachelle - "Hmm, well to be honest I like chicken sausages, I wouldve loved to have tasted mattessons! Would have been quite an experience."

toppsy - "What music are you into? - favourite song/band?"

Rachelle - "I'm into all kinds of music. Personally I don't like rap that much, although I do enjoy Eminem. I like Indie music . I'm also starting to enjoy French music, although.... I don't understand any of it! haha.. Very merry music. I guess anything that can relate to my mood. I like to listen to stereomood on the internet! That's the best site ever!"

toppsy - "favourite movie?"

Rachelle - "Wow! um ... that's a difficult one. I must say that I enjoy one of our local movies , Spud. Its really funny and it also is a drama, quite a mix and it has a twist. It made me realise that SA has a lot of talent and made me very proud! I cant wait for the next Spud movie to come out!"

toppsy - "What do you do for fun in South Africa?"

Rachelle - "Well, I'm quite adventurous and like to be thrown out of my comfort zone.

When its summer I like to go hiking, Ive climbed and hiked table mountain before, it was quite a mission!"

I love to surf, although Im pretty bad at it, but it hasnt stopped me for trying even harder!

In winter... I hibernate! hahaha! No Im joking. Um, I just chill out a bit and hang out with my friends and we go out to lounges and we also have 'kuiers' those are like little get togethers where you have a barbeque, we call barbeques a braai
(br-eye)"
toppsy - "What's your favourite colour?"

Rachelle - "I have many favourite colours and I sometimes asscoiate colours with my mood. So, its always changing. I'm also quite artsy and I think all colours are beautiful."

toppsy - "What's the silliest thing you've ever done?"

Rachelle - "Wow! Ive done many silly things!

I guess it was one of the summers when i was with my best friend,  it was really really hot that day, and we were quite bored so i thought of some thing quite genius ... haha.. I sprayred the tar(road) with spray and cook. Got a spatula out and crcked and egg on the ground to see if it would fry...
Unsucessful"
:(

toppsy  - "What would you do if you won the lottery?"

Rachelle - "My life is good, so I'd give it to some one or a family who is less fortunate.

I'd also use some of the money for my studies."


toppsy - "Were you star-struck to share a set with Samuel Robertson?"
Rachelle - "hahaha, yes of course I was. I must say he really is a sweet man and is down to earth. He also has an amazing voice!!!"

toppsy - "Have you considered auditioning for Scotland's River City?"

Rachelle - "Umm... Ive never heard of it to be honest (blushing). Id first have to know what its all about I guess? :) But I love opportunities, and wouldn't mind. Plus my grandfather is Scottish! Id love to surprise him with great news if I ever did anything for Scotland :) Better start practicing my accent!" :)

toppsy - "When will you visit your adoring fans in Glasgow?"

Rachelle - "Aaw :) hopefully very soon ! I would love to travel before I go and study so I will make a stop in Glasgow :)"

toppsy - "And finally, have you ever seen Braveheart?"

Rachelle - "Heard of it :) haven't watched it.... YET! :) I'm quite the busy one, I'll see if I can get hold of it tonight and watch it :)

Thanks for the fun interview! had a blast answering the questions :)"


toppsy - "God loves you. Glasgow loves you. Toppoblog loves you.

Thank you Rachelle. Thank you."

Exhausted from that intense interview, for which there was limited time, I didn't quite have the chance to reflect and take in what I had just experienced.

Now I have had time to recover, I appreciate that this may be the greatest interview of my career.

Toppsy

X